How does it work?
Local Area Coordination is an eclectic combination of approaches, delivered in a unique and connected sequence.
Local Area Coordinators support individuals and their families and are based in their local communities as a local, accessible, single point of contact for people with disabilities, mental health needs, older people and their families. This enables the support provided by Local Area Coordinators to be personalised, flexible and responsive, within the context of their family and community life.
They take time to get to know and build positive, trusting relationships with individuals, families and local communities and develop a more personal relationship with a wide range of people and their families.
It combines a range of existing, often disconnected roles in a single, local point of contact supporting children and adults within their local community and is intentionally designed to:
- Support people to identify their vision for a good life and their plans for getting there,
- Understand and utilise personal, family and community gifts, strengths and interests – Support people to stay strong,
- Access accurate, timely and relevant information from a variety of sources choice and control,
- Support people to identify and develop personal networks (friends, family, neighbours, work colleagues, community),
- Support people to have a voice self advocacy, advocating alongside people or advocate for people,
- Support people to develop practical (non service) responses to needs,
- Build partnerships with and between individuals, families, communities and services,
- Support people to access and control resources or services where this is needed or eligible,
- Link people with existing community resources,
- Participate in and contribute to building inclusive communities through partnerships with local businesses, community, voluntary and third sector organisations,
- Identify gaps in community opportunities and form partnerships to actively develop local communities and resources community building, and
- Promote opportunities for contribution and leadership,